Wednesday 4 July 2012

HUGGING A GAHARU TREE FOR GOOD LUCK

A worker at the plantation hugging the trunk of a gaharu tree, an act which visitors from Middle East countries believe to be auspicious.

Last week, my friend Hajah Zamrudah told me that she and her family visited the Gaharu Tea Valley in Gopeng. She said that since I was interested in plants, it was a place I'd enjoy visiting. Zam said that drinking Gaharu tea is healthy as the leaf can strengthen the heart, reduce blood sugar, lower blood pressure and stabilize the nervous system. I was told that the attraction of the place also includes an 8km-long wall resembling the Great Wall of China. Apparently, the all is built to protect the Gaharu plants. At the same time it has become a tourist attraction.
For your information, Gaharu or Agarwood is also known as ‘Wood of God’. It is the costliest wood in the world and has many health benefits that were identified by the ancient Chinese.
When I did a search in the Internet, I read that there is a Gaharu mother tree, which supposedly brings luck to whoever that hugs it. Some blogs say that hugging it gives the hugger a large dose of positive ions.
As it is I have made plans with one of my colleagues to organise a study trip to Gaharu Tea Valley in September.  So, Mother Gaharu tree, please wait for me to come a-hugging.
 
CLICK HERE TO READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE GAHARU TEA VALLEY IN GOPENG

No comments: