Tuesday 20 April 2010

FAMOUS HOCK CHEW BISCUITS

The Gong Pian is touted as the mouth-watering Hock Chew creation found in Sitiawan and Ayer Tawar.  The biscuits hard and crispy on the outside and savoury inside these savoury biscuits were brought by the Hock Chew settlers from China.
When my mum and aunt were at the seafood restaurant, a peddler came and sold a packet of these biscuits to my aunt.  I have never bought them for my family as the biscuits contain lard and I don't eat that.  Anyway, my aunt loved it.  A packet of 10 biscuits was sold at RM13.00.  This means that one biscuit costs RM1.30.
There is actually a shop in Sitiawan town where one can get the biscuits for a cheaper price.  The name of the shop is Cheong Cia Gong Pian shop, located behind Wisma Ganda, on Jalan Tok Perdana.  However, I think that the Gong Pian there is a bit different from the ones my aunt bought which were homemade.  The “Gong Pian” biscuits at the shop are stuffed with sweet “char siew” or slightly salted fried onions.
For your information, the Gong Pian biscuits are made from wheat flour, yeast, salt and lard. The dough is kneaded carefully by hand before it is put into a machine to be rolled. After that, it is flattened and rolled into smaller pieces, stuffed with the fillings and rolled again with a rolling pin.  Once done, they are put into a heated oven and baked for a few minutes until they become hard and crispy.The onion-filled biscuits cost 60 sen each while the “char siew” ones cost 90 sen each.
So if you happen to visit Sitiawan, do give the biscuits a try.

No comments: