Wednesday 14 April 2010

CURE FOR DIABETES AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE???

My mum has been telling me that the people in our neighbourhood has been coming around to the patch of land in front of our house to pluck the blue coloured flowers that are growing there.  The Chinese refer to it as blue flower and the Malays call it Bunga Telang. In English it is known as Butterfly pea or Asian pigeonwings. Its botanic name is Clitoria ternatea L.
Previously I had only thought that this flower was used to colour food like nyonya chang and nasi kerabu.  I have heard that in some countries, it is used as food and drinks.  In Thailand it is made into syrupy blue drink called nam dok anchan and in Burma the flowers are eaten as food, they are dipped in batter and fried.

My mum told me that the people who came to pluck the flowers said that they would boil the flowers together with the rice as it seems that it was a cure for diabetes and high blood pressure.  Even my mum has joined the bandwagon and now puts in a few of the flowers when she boils rice.
As far as I know and even after I have checked once more time in the Internet, there is no mention that the Asian pigeonwings or Bunga Telang is used as a cure for diabetes or hypertension. 
What I know is that the paste of the blue flowers is applied to cure infection of eyes and for headache. The entire plant is used as an antidote for snake bites.  There has also been mention of the root extracts of the Clitoria ternatea being capable of curing whooping cough if taken orally. The extract from the white-flowered plant can cure goiter.
Sometimes I wonder where these people get their information and it seems that almost everything can be used as cures for diabetes and high blood pressure. 
References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea
http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/5/1/10/table/T3

No comments: