Monday 27 August 2012

SHAKYO: TRACING THE SUTRA







Some of my Buddhist friends advised me to copy the Buddhist sutras and dedicate them to my late mother. I was told that copying a Buddhist Sutra (a sacred text) by hand is a highly meritorious activity. One should start with clear, virtuous motivation. They said that it would be better if I could do it within the first 100 days of her demise. Initially Lai Yoong got me one such book but then the Chinese characters in them were very complicated and I had only copied 27 out of 80 over pages.
In Japanese hand copying sutras is Shakyo or tracing the sutras.  To find out about the merits of Shakyo, click this LINK and this LINK.

View this video on how to write shakyo (hand copying sutra)

Recently, my beautician told me that there is a printing press near Tuck Kee Restaurant in Ipoh that prints copies of Buddhism books for free distribution and they have books where one can go over the characters which are lightly printed on the pages. Something like the books for the children beginning to learn to write by using tracing pages.

I managed to go to the shop to get a few copies of the books last Saturday. So I will start copying them today and will be making sure that I have at least one copy to dedicate to my mum by the 100th day ceremony. Lai Yoong who went with me, said that she'd help to copy one for my mum too. So sweet of her!

No comments: