Sunday 16 October 2011

BUYING KACANG PUTIH FOR DEEPAVALI

On Saturday evening, I drove my mum and aunt to Kampung Kacang Putih in Buntong to buy what is generically known as Kacang Putih or Indian Snack Food.  In this village about 40 or more families are involved in making and selling Indian snacks or kacang putih.  The snacks sold here are much cheaper than at the stores. Traders buy the snacks wholesale from Kampung Kacang Putih at around RM25 for a 5 kilogram pack. Most of the smaller packets of snacks are sold at around RM2 - RM3.  If one were to buy a packet of the snacks at shops in Ipoh, they need to pay RM3.50 for the RM2 ones or RM10 for 3 packets.  
As I have mentioned earlier Kacang Putih is the generic name for Indian snacks like Muruku, Pakoda, Sivel, Aulu, Kacang Parang, Omma poddi and groundnuts.
My mum and I wanted to buy the Kacang Putih to give to her hired help, Chitra, who will be celebrating Deepavali on the 26th of November. Chitra started coming to my house to help about two months ago, around the time my mum was really sick.  She comes three times a week from 8.00 a.m. until 2.00 p.m.
 Auntie Linda choosing a few packets of the Indian snacks to give to her friends.
 My mum making her selection.
 Me with the Muruku.


 Muruku
 Don't know what this is called but one packet is sold at RM8.00.
 Pakoda
 This is the real kacang putih
 Groundnuts
 Kacang parang
 Kacang putih (with shell)
 Green peas
 Kacang parang without shell

 Potato strips
 An assortment of Indian snacks

No comments: