Monday 6 June 2011

HOW I CELEBRATE THE DUMPLING FESTIVAL (端午節)


The Chinese celebrate the Dumpling Festival or Duanwu Jie today, it being the fifth day of the fifth lunar month.  It is also known as Zong Jie (Dumpling Festival) and Dragon Boat Festival (龍船節).
Here in Malaysia most would celebrate it by eating glutinous rice dumplings or zongzi.  The Taoists would also offer prayers to their deities.  In some places where there is a Chinese majority, there will be even Dragon boat races.  

From a young age, my mum has taught me to make eggs stand at noon on this day.  We do it every year and I am looking forward to doing it today.  And at noon today, I am going to collect noon water or Dragon water as well.  

One practice that my late Aunt May taught me was to hang up mugwortcalamus and other medicinal herbs, these were believed by the ancients to prevent disease or evil and promote health and well-being.

To read more about this festival, please click the links below:

No comments: