Tuesday 14 September 2010

PAK OO??? WHO'S THAT?

When Daniel helped me to check my house for defects last week, he told me to beware of Pak Oo next door.  I was really scratching my head and wondering who he meant.  Was he referring to some spiritual being residing there since the place had been left vacant for more than a year and there was a lot of grass?  Nope, that was not who he meant.  Pak Oo is actually short for Pak Ular or Uncle Snake.  The Malays have a belief that we should not refer to a dangerous animal by name for fear of being really visited by it.  Hence, the pseudonym Pak Oo.
Anyway, I think the area will be cleared soon as the workmen for house have started arriving to take measurements.  I heard from the clerk at the housing developer's office that the owner is a Muslim Chinese married to a Malay lady.  He is a navy officer.

No comments: