Monday 19 July 2010

IN SEARCH OF THE NIPPLE FRUIT

Last week I had a call from one of the visitors to my blog on herbs, Taman Herba Vokasma.  It seemed that he had looked up the telephone number for my school and called the office to contact me. 
Ahem! Cute I may be but the caller, Encik Harris, was not contacting me to get a date.  Heh! Heh!  He had wanted to ask me if I could help him source for a fruit called Terung Susu Kambing or Nipple Fruit.  The fruit is used in traditional Malay medicine to treat breast cancer.  Encik Harris' sister was diagnosed with second stage breast cancer and would be undergoing radiotherapy treatment soon.
When I went back to Ipoh during the weekend, I quickly went to all the nurseries that I frequent but unfortunately they did not stock this plant.  I was told that they were only available during the Chinese New Year.  Anyway, the lady at one of the nurseries helped to telephone Mr Bala who is the field manager at Taman Herba Perak to see if he had any and he did.
When I called Encik Harris again to inform him, he told me that he too had managed to contact Encik Bala and his brother-in-law went and got the fruits for his sister.

This is how the nipple fruit looks like.  It reminds one of the cow's udder, right?

No comments: