Thursday 22 May 2008

AN HONEST DAY'S WORK


One of my Malay friends once told me that he likes to give things or money to children as a way to 'cleanse' his earnings. Huh? Cleanse earning? Let me explain. According to my friend, there is this idea that the money earned is deserved whereby one really works for every sen in the pay packet. However, says my friend that there might be some times that we are laxed or that we do not carry out our duties wholeheartedly. One way to do it is to give money to the needy or to children. That would sort of give a cleansing effect to the money that one gets that one does not really deserve or that one is overpaid. Actually, this practice is also done by the Chinese.

I am also sure that you must be wondering why on earth am I posting pictures of all the toy CJ7's, right? Well, it is because the Head of the English Department in my school gave me a bit of money as a token for giving in-house training to the teachers in the department for two days. To me the same concept I explained above applies as I think that it is part of my job to share my experiences and knowledge with my colleagues. Of course, it was lovely to get a token sum for conducting the training. Therefore, I decided to use some of the money to buy some cute CJ7 toys for the children of my friend. In this way, I get to kill two birds with one stone: make five children happy and also at the same time not make use of the money given to me solely for my own wants. If not little children, I sometimes also buy biscuits and cakes for my elderly next door neighbour if I happen to get paid extra.

No comments: