Thursday 17 October 2013

BACK TO CHOLESTEROL BUSTING FOOD

I went for a blood test on Monday and got the results on Wednesday. The lab technician was rather surprised when she looked at the results.  Though the bad cholesterol was still rather high at 6.2 but my good cholesterol had increased so much that it was able to counter the bad.  
I told her that I had my cholesterol checked at a health check-up counter at the supermarket and the reading was 3.75.  Then the lady said that that method of testing was not that accurate.  But then, it could not be that inaccurate.  And how on earth that there was surge a big increase in the good cholesterol?  
I told the lady that I had been on a 9 day vegetarian diet for the 9 Emperor Gods Festival and that was when she told me that Chinese Vegetarian Food might not be that healthy after all as it does not always center around healthy vegetables. Instead, in place of meat products, sometimes processed and high-fat foods are the centerpiece of a vegetarian diet. When I thought about it, she was right there was quite a lot of food made from gluten. Then I took a lot of food with curries and that too contributed to the cholesterol rise as coconut milk is very rich in fats.  Oh dear, instead of helping to reduce the bad cholesterol, my diet had increased it instead.
Then I thought back to the healthy diet that I had adopted before my 9 day vegetarian fast.  I had lots of salads, salmon, tuna and sardine sandwiches.  Now all these are good for reducing cholesterol.  Furthermore, there were no onions or garlic in the food.  Now these two are great in helping to fight the war against bad cholesterol.  
So I have to quickly revert to the diet that I had adopted and then go for another test.  Sigh!!!

No comments: