Monday 18 March 2013

PUTTING AMA'S TABLET IN PLACE


 Yesterday afternoon my family and I carried out an early Qingming for my late mother. After the prayer ceremony, my nephew Jeremy asked me when I was going to get the Tablet for Ama (grandma in Hokkien). The first thing that registered in my mind was that he was asking me whether I was going to get a Paper version of the i Tablet to burn for his grandma but then he explained that he meant the ancestral tablet type of thingy.  Oh! Aiyoh, that is how digital I have gotten.
When I realised what he meant, I asked the caretaker about my mum's tablet and he brought me to a cupboard filled with them.  He told me that the tablet was ready for some time but no one asked for it.  He did say that the two boys went to visit their grandparents' niche but said nothing about the tablet.
Anyway, we got the tablet and you can see it in the above picture.
 We all decided that Jeremy as the eldest grandson would be given the honour of placing the tablet into the niche.
 Here you see Jeremy holding his Ama's tablet while the caretaker unscrews the glass panel.  He was the one who guided us on what to do after that.
 Here you have Jeremy placing the tablet in place in front of the urn.
 Making adjustments.
 More adjustments to make everything just right.
 Now both my parents' tablets are installed.
 We bought the niche for my mum when my dad passed away and it was left vacant for about ten years.  The people at the Memorial Park taught us to place a red packet with money for good luck while my mum was still alive.  Now when the tablet was placed, we were told to remove it.  Here you see Benjamin about to remove the red packet.
Since Jeremy put the tablet in place, he got to keep the red packet for good luck.  In it was 16 sen.  1 ten sen coin, one 5 sent coin and one 1 sen coin.

No comments: