Wednesday 17 November 2010

RAIN CHAINS

During a heavy downpour, the gushing rain water from the roof of my house would hit the wall that adjoins my house with that of my neighbour's.  He has told me to get a quotation from a contractor to install an awning for both our properties.  However, I am not too keen on the idea as I prefer a lot of sunshine to come into my porch.  If I were to have one installed, I'd make sure that the awning is made from transparent material.
One can get a downspout installed but that doesn't look very attractive.  Alternatively, one can get a rain chain.  Rain chains originated in Japan where they hang chains from the roof to direct rainwater into jugs used to store their water supply.

In my school, I notice that there are rain chains (like the one above) to direct the rain water from the roof of the buildings and I am thinking of getting myself such a chain. Of course, I want something that is functional but also pleasing to the eye as well.  I have seen pretty looking rain chains like the ones above being advertised in the Internet and am really interested to get one. 

Here are more pictures of the lovely Japanese inspired rain chain designs.



 Sources:
http://www.qualitymatters.com/
http://www.ehow.com/how_2284639_rain-chain-water-feature.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss Cheah, how about install a rain gutter at your roof. I'm sure it will look clean and neat without blocking sunlight into your home.

Miss Cheah said...

I prefer the rain chain but then my new neighbour has expressed that he wants an awning for his. If he has one done, then I need too as the rain from his awning will splash onto my house.