Wednesday 18 August 2010

THOUGHTS ABOUT RETIREMENT ...


I am pictured with the principal of my school, Puan Siti Arfah binti Ibrahim.  She will be retiring on September 1st this year.  She told me this morning that she is happy to be able to get some much needed rest after serving the country for about 30 years.  It would give her more time for her family and also to do things that she didn't have time to do previously.
I told her that I would want to work longer as I would feel bored after retirement.  I heard that the government might raise the retirement age to 60 which would be good news for me.  I hope and pray that God would bless me with good mental and physical health so that I could continue to teach and serve my country for a long time. 
I recall my school gardener, Pak Din, who had worked in my school for many years after he retired from the navy.  His service was terminated this year because at 62 he was above the retirement age of 58.  He kept telling me that he enjoyed working in the school and would be bored and restless sitting at home.  Sigh! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job! waiting for your new artical.............................................................

Miss Cheah said...

Thanks. I am quite prolific in my writing and so you will get to read lots of articles.