Sunday 30 May 2010

OF RED RADISHES, CARROTS AND LETTUCES

The radishes that are normally sold in markets in Malaysia are of the white variety.  There are also radishes that have red skin like the ones above.  They are usually used to make salads in western countries.
I had written in one of my posts about hanging a pair each of garlic bulbs, red radish and also twelve pieces of Chinese leeks on either side of the main door/entrance to a house or shop when first moving in.  This can also be applied to the grand opening of a business. By hanging up these items, it is symbolic of limitless earning power and endless counting of money earned.
One of my visitors who will be starting her business soon wrote in to make enquiries about an alternative item to use in place of the red radish as she couldn't find it at her place. 
I went to the market place in Ipoh to make enquires about the red radish and the hawkers told me that in Chinese the carrot is also known as Hong Lor Pak or Red Radish.  Anyway, I was told that in place of the Hong Lor Pak, the Sang Choy (Chinese lettuce) is a very auspicious item to be hung up as it means Generating a lot of Wealth.  Anyway, I checked the source where I got the information about the red radish from and discovered that it was originally translated from a Chinese article.  So I guess that the author had meant carrots instead of red radishes since we won't get them here in Malaysia. 
So if my visitor wishes, she can use carrots complete with leaves attached at the top.  Otherwise, the Chinese lettuce would be just as auspicious.

Carrots in Chinese are known as Hong Lor Pak or Red radish
Sang Choy (Chinese lettuce)

No comments: