Sunday 30 May 2010

REAL MONKS AND A BOGUS ONE?

How an almsbowl looks like

A while back I posted a picture of a 'monk' at the Kampung Simee Market.  I suspected that he was a bogus monk as used a gold coloured singing bowl to receive the alms instead of the almsbowl like the ones carried by the two monks in the pictures above.  Also the Bhikkhus or monks would not hold out the bowls to get alms.  In Buddhism, alms or almsgiving is the respect given by a lay Buddhist to a Buddhist monk.  What I know is that the real Bhikkus would just stand in one place and wait for those who wish to give them alms.  The alms could be in the form of vegetarian food, fruits and money.
Next time I see a dubious looking monk, I am going to volunteer to send him back to the Buddhist temple that he came from and get the Abbot to verify his identity.  I am all for giving alms to the Bhikkus but would not stand by and do nothing if I find people tarnishing their good image.

I did not have a good feeling about this guy in the monk robes as he was holding a singing bowl to receive the alms.  Note that he was also wearing a singlet inside.  I also recall he was wearing a watch.  Perhaps, I am wrong.  Could anyone who knows more enlighten me on this?

No comments: