Monday 19 October 2009

SPAGHETTI GOURD

The Yu Chi gua that is found in the Kampung Simee market
The Australian spaghetti squash/gourd


The spaghetti or sharks fin-like flesh of the gourd after cooking

When I bought the Yu Chi Gua from the market last weekend, I scooped up the middle portion an threw them away and used the rest to make into a dessert. Little did I know that when cooked in soup form, the flesh falls away from the fruit in spaghetti like strands. Hence the name.
At that time I wasn't too sure of its name. The trader told me that it was called Yu Chi Gua or Sharksfin Melon. I did try looking it up but was unsuccessful. Then a visitor to the blog left a message to ask me to check out the Spaghetti Gourd or Squash. Eureka! This was the gourd that I was looking for. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Next on the agenda would be for me to buy another such gourd and try out the recipes for them. If I am successful, I'll post the photographs here.

No comments: