Monday 5 October 2009

BELACAN KANGKUNG


This is a popular dish in Malaysia. Don't ask me where iT originates as I don't want to be sucked into a controversy of which type of food belongs to what country!
I had it for lunch with my family on Sunday and thought I would share the recipe with you. Of course, I know how to cook it and so does many others. However, I can't cook it as delicious as the chef at the 1919 restaurant. Furthermore, I can't eat too much of kangkung or water convolvulus as I get cramps later on.
Anyway, here is the recipe. Do try it.
RECIPE FOR BELACAN KANGKUNG
Ingredients
1/2 kilo Kangkung - this serving is for about 4 persons
2 tablespoons of Oil
1 tablespoon of dried shrimps (alternatively you can use fresh shrimps)
1 teaspoon Toasted belacan (dried shrimp paste)
2 cloves of garlic
6 - 7 shallots
2 tablespoons of water
salt to taste
water
Method
1. Wash kangkung and cut into bite size. Put aside
2. Grind chillies, garlic, shallots, red chillies and belacan.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add (2) into the pan. Saute the shrimp paste until fragrant.
4. Add in the dried shrimps/fresh shrimps. Stir and cook until they turn pink.
5. Add the kangkung. Then add water. Stir and mix well.
6. Add in salt.
7. Cook for another 3 minutes or so.
8. Serve with rice.

No comments: