Friday 25 September 2009

FROM THE HEART

The Bingka Pandan baking in the oven
Tuan Haji cutting the bingka

Before I went to Haji Hasnin's house, I gave a call to the family first to ask if they were in so that Kamariah, her children and I would be visiting after we went to another friend's open house.
We reached their house earlier than I had mentioned as our other friends had more visitors and we wanted to make way for them.
On hearing that we would be going to his house, Haji Hasnin cooked Koay Teow Curry for us. He also made Bingka Pandan. The bingka was still in the oven when we reached his house. It seemed that he just learnt to make it and this was his second attempt.
When it was ready, he quickly brought it out from the oven and started cutting it to serve his guests. Actually, it did not turn out that well but to me it tasted really good because it was something made from the heart from a man who wanted to cook for his good friends. Believe me, it was far more special than any expensive kuih you find in up-market restaurants.

No comments: