Friday 29 August 2008

A CAT HAS NINE LIVES BUT MAN ONLY HAS ONE


We have oft heard the saying that a cat has nine lives. This means that the cat is more tenacious of life than other animals as it generally lands upon its feet without injury, the foot and toes being padded so as to break the fall. Well, Kelabu certainly has used up at least two of its lives. Hopefully, she will have better days ahead of her when she goes and lives at her new master's house.
Unlike a cat, human beings only have one life to live and it is ever so fragile. Just because someone is young, it does not necessary mean that he/she will be able to live longer. Or that they will not become bedridden or paralysed. Don't be surprised if an 80 year old man can outlive an 18 year old boy. Nothing is certain. Our future is in constant motion.
My mum and Aunt Linda keep repeating the fact that they are now living on bonus time as they are in their seventies. That is why they say that they try to enjoy themselves as much as they can, they eat the food that they like (but in moderation as their doctors would make a fuss if the results of their medical reports are not good) and they will buy things that make them happy. This "getting the maximum out of each day as it is a gift from God idea" which they utter every time I am with them has also gotten into me and it has sort of become a mantra now.
As I am not as young as I used to be, I too should listen to my elders and learn how to enjoy each day and make full use of it as it is God's daily gift to me. My good friend, Haji Hasnin, mentioned that the clothes I am wearing now look better than the ones I used to wear a couple of years ago. He said that that should be the way as it would be silly of me to work so hard and not think of enjoying life a bit. He said that if I fall sick it would be my own doing. That man is like my conscience. It is because of his 'nagging' that I have made myself sleep more hours in a day and also try to relax and take things easier. It is no use that I make myself sick from overwork as that would be very foolish and silly. Unlike Kelabu, I do not have nine lives to live but only one.

No comments: