Saturday 23 August 2008

BITING YOUR SHOES BEFORE THEY BITE YOU



I am not sure if this superstition is peculiar to Malaysia but as far as I know my Indian, Chinese, Punjabi and Malay friends have been exposed to it since they could remember. It seems that when you first buy a new pair of shoes, you need to bite the shoe first so that it would not 'bite' you when you first put them on. Huh! When did the shoes grow teeth? Actually, it is only metaphorically speaking. What is meant by the 'shoes biting' is that since the shoe is new it might not be comfortable to wear and one might develop blisters from it.
See that was what happened to me today. I wore my new pair of green shoes and developed blisters after having them on for a few hours. Did I bite the shoes on purchase? NO. But I don't think it works that way. I have bought a few shoes that were comfortable to wear immediately after I put them on. It just boils down to the materials used and also the workmanship. I wonder how this piece of superstition came about.

No comments: