Sunday 9 March 2008

POOJA CEREMONY FOR NEW CAR


Yesterday, I blogged about sending my new Toyota Vios to the Buddhist temple and have the monk there recite mantras and sprinkle holy water to bless it. Well, the Hindus have a similar type of ceremony and they call it Pooja or Puja.

A car pooja is a ceremony to consecrate or bless a new car in the name of the Hindu deity and keep it safe from bad influences. In my case, my car was blessed in the name of Lord Buddha.

This ceremony is done at the inception of the implement, just before using it or as soon as possible after purchase. When you buy a new car or a home, you do the puja before driving the car or moving into the new house. As I only got my car at around 5.00 p.m., I only managed to send it to be blessed at around 10.00 a.m. the next day. Anyway, it was less than 24 hours after I got it. Besides, I prefer to do it during the daytime where the energy is Yang.
For a Hindu Vahan Puja (car blessing), the following items are used (usually brought from the house of the car owner):

Turmeric powder & Kum kum -1 cup each
Incense stick (agarbatti) -1 pkt
Coconut -1
Lemon -4
Banana -6
Prasad -Any sweet dish
To read more about how the pooja ceremony for a car is performed, please visit this site:

No comments: