Saturday 29 December 2007

ENHANCING ONES GOOD NAME



Chinese people are very particular about their names. It is believed that a good name will bring one far in life and a name that is not suitable can have negative bearings on us.

That is why, quite a number of Chinese people would consult experts to choose the name for their children based on their dates of birth. The number of strokes are taken into consideration as well as the 5 elements of metal, wood, water, fire and earth. A person whose Ba Zi (八字) is lacking in fire could have the element included in his or her name.

In my case, I don't think my parents used any Feng Shui method to come up with my name. How I got named Li Na is actually very romantic. You see, my parents went on their honeymoon to Penang Island and they had to take a ride on the ferry to get there. Well, while they were crossing the straits my mum saw a Scandinavian oceanliner with the moniker, Selina. She liked the name very much and told my dad that if her first born was a girl, she'd like her to have that name. Sure enough, her first child was a girl and my dad remembered my mum's wish. However, he shortened the name to Lina and made it Chinese sounding by separating the name into Li Na (麗娜). Many years later, when I sent my name to be analysed it was found that I could not use the Li (麗) which carries the meaning beautiful as I might be cheated and have ill health. So I was advised to use the Li which means example.

As our names have bearing on our personal wellbeing and fortune, I was taught by my feng shui master and also my godmother to take good care of it. In no way, must we let people step on our names and so don't simply write your names on the floor where it can be easily stepped on. One good way of enhancing ones good name is to have the Chinese characters made into a gold pendant and wear it. Another way is to have the characters artistically written using Chinese calligraphy and adored with auspicious symbols. This can be framed and hung in n auspicious direction of the house. See in the above picture, I bought a bracelet made with letters of my name set in diamonds. By the way, the diamonds are not real. I'm not rich. I got it from the pasar malam for less than RM20.00. But the glitter and the stars would give my name a shine. So, hopefully my name will be given a boost.

No comments: