Saturday 29 March 2014

TORTOISE JELLY (GUILIN GAO)


When I was younger, I thought that Guilin Gao or Tortoise Jelly was made from tortoise meat and would have nothing to do with it.  It was later when my Aunt May explained to me that it was actually a sort of jelly.  A long time ago, they used to make it from the powdered bottom shell of the turtle but nowadays most of those sold do not contain any at all.  It is just herbs.So I started eating this black herbal jelly as it is said that it does wonders for the complexion.  Yup.  Vain.
Guilinggao is thought to be good for the skin, allowing for a healthier complexion upon repeated consumption. Other supposed positive effects of the jelly includes improving circulation, assisting muscle growth, relieving itching, reducing acne and kidney restoration.

I bought two containers of Tortoise Jelly from the Farmer's Market a couple of days ago thinking that they would taste like the ones my friend, Swee Sian makes.  Sadly, it did not come near the standard of Swee Sian's Guilin Gao.  One of these days, I need to ask her to teach me how to make them.  

No comments: