Monday 31 March 2014

HONOURING MY PATERNAL ANCESTORS DURING CHENG BENG

Cheng Beng this year falls on April 5.  However the Chinese are given the option of visiting the graves of the dearly departed 10 days before and 10 days after that date.  Last Monday, I was at Sam Poh Caves to honour my maternal grandparents and my Aunt Cheah Moy.  Then on Saturday, it was time to honour ancestors from my paternal side namely my great grandparents, my grandparents and two grand aunts. As usual my cousin Thim Fook, his wife and son went with me.
You can see me with my nephew, Ivan at my late grandfather's grave.
I am the one who does the praying.  My cousin and his family who are Christians will bring flowers and then they say their own prayers for the ancestors.
My cousing Thim Food and Ivan.



Painting grandfather's tombstone.

The Cheah family hard at work doing the painting.  Thim Fook, Christine and Ivan.
Every year, Thim Fook would hire a person to help clear the graves for us.  

No comments: