Monday 15 July 2013

THE REAL AIR KATIRA

 When I first tasted Air Katira it was at a Ramdan Bazaar in Manjung during the fasting month. I liked the taste and kept going back to the same stall to buy the drink during the duration of the month.  Let me see, it was about 7 or 8 years ago.  The following year, I again bought the drink the fasting month and kept going for more.  Then after that the Katira drink sold were not like the original ones.  They tasted more like Air Bandung with Cincau added with selasih seeds and kembang semangkuk.  The one thing missing was Katira which the drink was named after.  What a BIG disappointment for me.
On the fourth day of the Ramadan this year, I managed to taste the real Air Katira again.   It was sold at a stall at the Ipoh Stadiujm Bazaar Ramadan  operated by Encik Suhaimi.  Yeeeessss!!!
 Here is the newspaper cutting on the Katira drink sold by Encik Suhaimi.
 The man himself, Encik Suhaimi Mohamad Nor.  Originally from Temerloh but relocated to Ipoh.  So it is lucky for us Ipoh folks.  I was actually so excited when I found the original Air Katira that I called Kamariah to tell her.
 This is the processed Katira.  It had to be soaked overnight to look like this.  The original one looks like a piece of kemunyan or a blog of gum.  Below are the other ingredients for the drink.
 Kembang semangkuk.
 Selasih seeds.
 Cincau
 Forgot to ask what this is.  It looks like syrup to me. 

The ingredients above are added with milk plus syrup and of course, ice.  Encik Suhaimi makes the drink more attractive by adding different colouring.

No comments: