Wednesday 14 November 2012

EKOR ANJING (DOG'S TAIL)




My former neighbour introduced me to the Ekor Anjing plant when I lived in a rented house next to hers.  I noticed that she had planted a lot of this vegetable like plant in her garden and out of curiosity I asked her what she used it for.  She told me that when boiled with barley, it helps to reduce fever and also to regulate urination.  It is commonly known in Malaysia as Ekor Anjing or Dog's tail.  I am guessing that the stylus-like part resembles the tail of a canine.

Here is some information about this medicinal plant which is very easy to grow.

Common names: Ekor Anjing, Englishman's Foot, Plantain, Ripple Grass, Plantagor Asiatica
Botanical name: Plantagor Major
Medicinal uses:
A decoction of the boiled leaves is used to treat dysentry and gonorrhea.  When the whole plant is boiled in water, the decoction can be used to treat fever, cold, cough, hypertension, bronchitis, diarrhoea, diabetes, bladder stones, constipation and to regulate urination.
LINK   LINK

No comments: