Tuesday 7 August 2012

JUST CANDLES AND NO CAKE










I celebrated Amir's Chinese lunar birthday with him yesterday night. For me, the day that he was born was very special and memorable as Amir shares the same birthdate with Kuan Yin, the Goddess of Mercy.  His papa and family members would celebrate the western date with him.
I even remember the time he was born as Haji Hasnin was the one who sent a text message containing the details of his birth.  When I told my godmother that my friend's son was born on the 19th day of the 6th lunar month, she told me that the little boy might face lots of trials and tribulations in life like the goddess.  However such a child would most probably be merciful, forgiving and compassionate like Kuan Yin.
In western age, Amir is 8 but according to Chinese calculations, he is 9. I had wanted to buy him a cake but Amir told me that he couldn't eat it as he was recovering from a bout of rashes.  I had gone to his house on Friday to send him some plasticine that I had promised to buy for him for sticking to his fast and also to ask his papa if I could celebrate his Chinese birthday with him on Monday.  However, I was told that Amir was in Kajang with his maternal grandmother for a week already as he hadn't been well.  His grandparents sent him to the hospital there for treatment.  Anyway, Amir's papa, Sahak, promised to bring him over to my house to celebrate with me on Monday night.
Sahak kept his promise and sent my little godson to my house at 7.10 p.m.  He told me that he'd pick the boy up at 10.30 p.m.
So how did we celebrate?  Firstly, we had dinner at the Chicken Rice Shop so that Amir could break his fast.  Then I brought him to play games at the arcade at Tesco.  After that we went shopping at Tesco where I bought him a toy.  Next, Amir suggested that we go 'ronda-ronda' (driving) around town to see the lights specially put up for Ramadan.  Then, we went back to my house where he played Dragon Ball games online.
I had asked Amir if he wanted a birthday cake but then he said no as his daddy was planning a belated birthday party for him during Raya.  Hmm ... I felt a bit disappointed as I had wanted to take pictures of him blowing the candles on his birthday cake.  But then, I had an idea.  Instead of blowing the candles on the cake, why not have him light 8 pink tea candles to mark each year he has been on the earth and one additional year when he was in his mummy's tummy.  So you have Amir lighting the candles at the time that he was born and me making a wish for me.  I wished that my godson would grow up to be strong, healthy and live a long and fruitful life.

No comments: