Tuesday 26 June 2012

GIFTS FOR MY MUMMY TO BRING ALONG TO THE NETHERWORLD


During the wake for my mum, the funeral organizers had placed two earthen pots near the coffin.  My family and I were told to burn the paper money and other types of prayer papers  and papier-mâché gifts.  This burning of prayer papers is to ensure that my mum will have have proper items in the afterlife. The Taoists believe that the burning of the paper money and paper objects allows for the objects to be transferred to the ancestors, materialising in the afterlife.
Being Kiasu, I made sure that my mum had the necessary stuff when she makes her landing in the netherworld.  Thus once she reaches her destination, she'd have money, a house and a car waiting for her there.
In the above pictures, you see my nephew, Ivan, godsister, Sophie and cousin sister, Nyuk Fun carrying out the task of burning the paper items during the wake on Saturday night.

No comments: