Monday 23 January 2012

OFFERINGS OF JOSS-STICKS TO THE JADE EMPEROR

 This is the pineapple shaped joss-stick that I bought as a gift for the Jade Emperor.  Yesterday afternoon, I went to the temple to see the caretaker lighting it.
 To light the joss-stick, kerosene had to be poured onto the top of the joss-sticks.  Actually, there were many people who had brought 10 feet tall joss-sticks to be burnt at mid-night to welcome the new year but I requested that mine be lit a day earlier as I had actually promised the pineapple joss-stick as a gift for the Jade Emperor's birthday which fell on the 6th day of the 12th lunar month.  This is considered a belated birthday gift and I wanted it to be lit before the start of a new year.
 Here are some of the joss-sticks which will be burnt as offerings for the deity on new year's day.  There were easily a hundred joss-sticks there.



No comments: