Sunday 27 March 2011

THE REAL PURPOSE OF CHING MING

 Hi!  I went hill climbing yesterday morning.  This has been my annual activity for many, many years.  As a member of the Cheah Family, it is my duty to pay  respect to my departed ancestors once a year.  My ancestral graves are located up on a hill in Gopeng.
 My ancestors' graves are sited mid-way up the hill and overlooking the highway.  My nephew, Ivan asked if Cheng Beng meant praying to the ancestors using joss-sticks, candles and food.  Well, I told the little guy that the stuff mentioned was part of the ritual but that was not the real purpose of the Ching Ming Festival (清明节).
 I'd like to share with you the impromptu lesson about what Ching Ming really is that I gave to my young nephew.  I told him that the words Ching Ming translates to mean Clear Bright.  Therefore when people go for Ching Ming they are required to clear the graves of their ancestors so that they look clean and bright.  It is also an occasion for the descendants to remember their ancestors and pay their respect to them. 

 Each year my cousin brother, Thim Fook would hire someone to help us to clear the graves of our ancestors.  This year he paid the guy, Selva, to put bricks around the common grave of our great grandparents, my grandma and two grandaunts.
 While his dad was busy giving instructions to Selva, Ivan helped his Ku Ku (Chinese for paternal aunt) to collect the used bottles, plastic, paper, et cetera at the graves to make sure that we leave no rubbish on the hill.
 The two packets of rubbish collected by Ivan and his Ku Ku to be taken down the hill to be disposed of.
 I set up the feast for my ancestors while Thim Fook provided the flowers for our ancestors to dine in style.
 After the place has been cleaned, the rubbish collected and the prayer ritual completed.  Thim Fook and Ivan, who are both Christians, would have a 'chat' with the ancestors.
 I would also chip in to ask the ancestors to bless our families and to ensure that we have good health, good luck and be successful in our undertakings. 

Mission accomplished.  Time for us to go down the hill.  We will be back to carry out our filial duty again in 2012.

No comments: