Thursday 10 March 2011

IKAN SEBELAH LAUT (FLOUNDER FISH)


Thank God my appetite for food has not been affected after drinking the contaminated and corrosive water from my water faucet for six months.  I still can 'wallop' all my favourite food with gusto.  Take for example the Ikan Sebelah Laut which was on the menu at the canteen yesterday.  I ate one for lunch and bought two more for dinner.  I love eating the Ikan Sebelah Laut Ikan Sisa Nabi (God's Prophet Footprint Fish).  Its scientific name is Pseudorhombus spp. / Achiroides spp..  This is a saltwater and freshwater fish which is  found Malaysia and countries in the ASEAN region.  It is known as Flounder Fish in the English language.

There is a biblical tale surrounding this fish which goes like this ... King Solomon who was also a Prophet of God was eating this particular fish at one time but as he was unable to finish eating it, he released it back into the sea and by the Will of God, the fish came back to life again and swam back to sea in its half eaten form.  Until today, the fish looks as if it is half eaten thus the name Ikan Sebelah or Half A Side of Fish. 

The canteen helper, Ros, reluctantly agreed to pose for pictures with a fried Ikan Sebelah Laut for me.

No comments: