Friday 25 March 2011

DON'T BE SILLY

When I related the fears of my Chinese friend for me to Haji Hasnin this morning, the first thing that came out from his mouth was "Don't be silly?  Do you think the housing developer is going to hire thugs to beat you up or burn your house all because of a corroded tap?  Come on, they are not so stupid. "  He said that if they burn my house, all the houses in my row would also be affected.  If they get thugs to hurt or kill me, then they would even be sillier.  They would be the first to be implicated should such a thing were even to happen.  He reminded me that we do have a group of people here in Manjung called The Police.
Even Khairah was shaking her head when I told her the same thing.  She said, "Hey, kau ingat police di Manjung tak akan buat apa-apa?  (Hey, do you think the Manjung Police won't do anything?)
The most interesting reply came from Kamariah when I went out for lunch with her in the afternoon.  I jokingly asked her if she was brave enough to ride in my car as I may be a target of thugs and hoodlums hired to teach me a lesson.  She answered, "The people concerned would be better off if they replaced your faucets with gold plated ones than to hire people to beat you up or to kill you.  It would be cheaper than hiring the thugs."

No comments: