Tuesday 8 March 2011

BASKETBALL AND ME

When I was studying in school, college or university, I never played basketball.  However, when I was posted to my present school, a few of my students who loved to play basketball asked me (I guess with the assumption that as a Chinese I play basketball) to agree to manage a club that they wanted to form since the game was not popular in schools where there are a lot of Malay students.  Football is the preferred sport.  I gave in after my boys kept pleading with me and that was how the school basketball club was formed. 
I do know a bit about the game and could give a pointer or two.  However I do not play as I am both short and long sighted plus I have astigmatism which makes it very difficult for me to estimate where the ball is. 
These boys are actually clowning around with the ball. All except one are in the school basketball team.  They were just hamming it up for the camera.
The boys in the few pictures above were trying out for the school team and they played in earnest.
What I usually do when the boys are practising for a tournament is to be there to give moral support and to take lots of photographs. The coaching is left to Cikgu Hanafiah who is in the last picture above.  By the way, he was my former student who also happened to be in the school basketball team.  Now he is teaching in the same school and helps to train the boys.

No comments: