Wednesday 9 February 2011

LUCK BRINGING WINDMILLS





One practice that my mum and I do is to buy a windmill from the temple during our Chinese New Year visit.   To the Chinese, the windmill is a symbol for changing one's luck. It is believed the simple windmill will blow away all kinds of bad energy and change ones luck for the better.  Long ago the windmills used to be made from paper and bamboo but nowadays there are plastic ones as well.  Some of the devotees get their  windmills blessed by bringing them inside the temple while praying.  They believe that in this way good fortune would be brought home along with the windmill.
This year, the windmill that I bought is very colourful and has a Smiley Face  in the middle.  After I bought the windmill, I would hold it to the wind and let the windmill turn and at the same time say, "Blow wind blow.  Blow away all the bad luck and help bring good luck to me".

No comments: