Wednesday 2 February 2011

KUAN TI TEMPLE OFF KUALA KANGSAR ROAD









Off Kuala Kangsar Road in Ipoh, there is a temple famed for a limestone formation which resembles a tortoise.  Word has spread far and wide that some visitors who had gone to the temple and had stroked the said tortoise formation had managed to win some money in games of chance. 
This temple which is part of a limestone cave is actually dedicated to the Taoist Deity, Kuan Ti.  Flanking Kuan Ti are two of his aides cum good friends who have also been deified.  Construction work is underway to build a temple for the Jade Emperor right next to the temple for Kuan Ti.  Note that the new temple is much higher as accorded the status of The Jade Emperor who is highly ranked in the Taoist Pantheon of Deities. 
My mum and I visited the temple a few years ago and we again visited it on Sunday with my Auntie Linda.  Actually, my mum had asked me to drive her to the shops in Kuala Kangsar Road as she wanted to buy some silk flowers but I made a detour to the temple as I have this thing for visiting temples.  These places of worship give me a sense of peace and calm.  It is also said that any spirits or evil beings which by chance have attached to us would also stay back as they are said to enjoy listening to the chants and prayers by the monks or priests.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I have been looking for the Kuan Ti temple for some while because I have a personal connection with it when very young, but I am not sure this is the one I am looking for. Have you got any info on the history of the temple, when it was built etc? Thanks. Peter Wong.