Monday 7 February 2011

EATING ULAM TO STAY HEALTHY AND YOUTHFUL


Nowadays, I am hearing that more and more of my relatives, colleagues as well friends have been diagnosed as suffering from hypertension and diabetes. This is a worrisome trend which may be due to our eating habits.

One can try eating ulam-ulaman (raw vegetables) to help prevent such diseases. I read that eating ulam can help to reduce the effects of diabetes and hypertension as well.

In the school Herb Garden, there are a number of herbs which can be eaten as ulam.  A few of my my
colleagues and I would regularly harvest the herbs from this garden to make into salads.  I actually have a fondness for eating ulam.  Furthermore, eating ulam or raw vegetables is said to help one maintain ones youthfulness longer which is all the more why I love eating them.
In the above picture are a few types of ulam that I plucked from the Herb Garden this morning. They are the shoots and young leaves of the Assam Gelugor plant, the Mulberry Plant, the Fig Plant and the Bebuas Plant.

No comments: