Friday 15 October 2010

CUSTARD APPLE

The custard apple plant that is growing behind the school library has begun to bear fruit.  I think I bought it about a year ago and handed it over to my colleague who did the planting.  Though I have a fondness to study the different types of herbal plants and their medicinals, I am not fond of gardening.  Besides, I think I have yellow fingers instead of green ones.  Things I plant don't seem to grow too well.
In Malay, the custard-apple is known as buah nona.  In western countries, it is also called bullock's heart or bull's heart.  The botanic name of this plant is Annona reticulata.
Besides being eaten as a delicious fruit and made into a drink, the custard apple also has medicinal uses. The unripe fruit has been used to assist against diarrhea and dysentery. The tree bark is used for skin and mucosae medicines and the seed bark contains useful tannins and astringents. The leaves are believed to have healing properties and have been used against tumors and cancers. The fruit of the plant, serves as an expectorant, stimulant, coolant, haematinic, and is useful in treating anemia. Paste of flesh of this plant or crushed leaves of the plant can be used for local application on ulcers, abscesses and boils.The bark has been used on gums to relieve toothaches.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard-apple

No comments: