Thursday 16 September 2010

WORK ON WEDNESDAY, REST ON MALAYSIA DAY

Today is Malaysia Day.  This is the first year that a public holiday has been declared for this momentous day for my country.  To celebrate this special day, the workers are given a day off.  That is why I am back in Ipoh as I do not need to be in Sitiawan.
The pictures that you see above were taken yesterday.  Luqman from the Maintenance Department started work at 8.00 in the morning.  He changed the spoiled door knobs, plastered the cracks and replaced the roof tiles.  Actually he went to my house to replace the tiles at around 7.00 p.m. the previous day.  When I reached the house at 8.00 a.m. yesterday morning, I had seen all the broken tiles that he replaced by the side of the porch.  Altogether he changed 15 tiles. 
I think the Rain God must like me a lot as it rained very heavily the next morning and Luqman detected leaks in a couple of places.  He duly went up and did more repairs to the roof later in the day after the rain had stopped.
Sharveen also came and helped me to clean the house before the workers installed the kitchen cabinet.  We wiped the tiles on the wall and also those on the floor where the cabinet was going to be placed. 
Later when all the repair work and installation were done, Sharveen and I swept and mopped the rest of the place.  I was told that we need to clean the house a few times before it could be certified stayable.  Next week, I will get more of my students after school.

No comments: