Wednesday 15 September 2010

SITTING OR STANDING KUAN YIN?


I fell in love with the statue of Kuan Yin in the pictures above when I visited a cave temple near Sam Poh Caves in Ipoh.  To me this image of the Goddess was so beautiful and serene.  That was why when I was thinking of inviting the Goddess into my new home, I wanted to look for a similar one which happened to be in a standing position.  However, try as I might, I could not find any statues which came close to the beauty and grace of Her at the Caves. Anyway, I managed to find one that I felt affinity for and She happened to be depicted standing.  One of my visitors wrote a comment about the significance of a Kuan Yin depicted sitting and One depicted standing.  This is something really interesting.  I too am not sure about such a significance. 

COMMENT OF BLOG VISITOR BY THE NAME OF JEREMY

Hello Ms Cheah, I was told when choosing a statue of Guan Yin to worship at home, it should be in a sitting position. This rules apply to statues of other deities as well. Statues of standing deity are for temples or business premises. Reason is because the home is a place where one would sit on the sofa and relax most of the time. Therefore, it's not too good when the deity that we respect is standing while we sit back and relax. So I was told, I'm not too sure about this. As for me I think respects and prayers come from the heart. Just my 2cents. Cheers

MY TWO SEN WORTH:
I did a check on the Web but couldn't find anything related to this.  So now, can anyone out there who knows more about this enlighten us?  I would sure like to know. 
I would also like to add that I agree 100% with Jeremy that respect and prayers should be from ones heart and it matters not how the Kuan Yin is depicted.  As long as I have her dwelling in my heart then that is what really counts

3 comments:

Mouren said...

Helo Ms Cheah,

My husband and I likes so much your photo with Kuan Yin...it's beautiful.

ennie said...

Lina, me too, I like the Guanyin and the scene behind, and also the two "golden boy & jade girl". Look at it will definitely give calmness. It's very beautiful.

Miss Cheah said...

I am glad all of you agree with me about the beauty and serenity of the Kuan Yin.
When I first saw this Kuan Yin statue, I wished to myself that I be blessed with beauty and grace just like Her.
Very greedy of me, eh?