Wednesday 29 September 2010

MAKING RICE POWDER

The rice that I have been soaking for some time have finally dissolved naturally.  Now I can go about making them into tiny beads of powder.  The good thing about Rice Powder or Bedak Sejuk is tht they are are made of rice and are chemical-free.
Some people can't wait for the rice to dissolve naturally and they only soak it for two days or so and then the water is drained and the rice is rinsed.  They would then grind the grains using a machine until they become flour-like. 
In my case, I only need to drain the water and rinse the dissolved rice.  Next, I use a white cloth to sieve the flour to remove the larger particles. The smooth, fine powder is used to make the bedak sejuk. It is mixed with water to form a batter and spooned into a funnel cloth or tracing paper. 
It takes some practise to dot the tear-sized blobs onto a paper-lined tray.  After all is done, the rice powder is dried for two days in the sun and can be put into containers.  I add pandan leaves to give it a nice, fragrant smell.

No comments: