Sunday 22 August 2010

AUTHENTIC WU LOUS

I saw these wu lous when I went marketing this morning.  Those in the first three pictures were sold by a peddler from China selling trinkets and Feng Shui items.  Initially he said the price of one wu lou was RM7.00 but was willing to sell to me at RM5.00.  After a bit of bargaining, I got it for RM4.00.  Those wu lous in the fourth picture were for sale at a prayer paraphernalia shop situated near the market.  The price for the wu lou was RM4.50. 
The wu lous are real.  Gloss paint has been added after the image of a Chinese deity has been painted on.  A red string with a mystic knot is tie4d to the valley.  I bought the wu lou to give as a present to one of the visitors to the Xing Fu blog. 

I also bought her the wu lou made from glass in the last picture.  The person I am sending the wu lous or calabashes simply loves them.  She even crafts the wu lous for sale.  I notice that some of those that she has crafted are painted gold. 
To the Taoists, the wu lou is something that has great power.  In the year of the tiger, a wu lou should be placed in the northeast and southwest to weaken the negative energy of the earth stars.
It can also be placed beside the bed of someone who is ill or convalescing, wu lours are traditionally used to improve health and bring luck. As far as I am concerned the real wu lous are more potent than the man-made ones.

No comments: