Tuesday 25 May 2010

MY FAVOURITE POTATO PATTIES

Bergedil Kentang (Potato Patties)
Mee Soto Ayam

When the special menu at the school canteen is Mee Soto Ayam, I would order the potato patties that are accompaniments to this dish.  I don't eat chicken and so the Mee Soto Ayam is not for me.  But ... I love the Bergedil Kentang or Potato Patties.  They are oily and greasy but what to do, I can't resist them.

I have not made them before and looked up the recipe just now.  The recipe was in the Malay language and I have translated it here.

BERGEDIL KENTANG (POTATO PATTIES)


Ingredients
1 kg of potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes. 
2 eggss, separate the yolks from the whites
3/4 cup of fried shallots
a few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped
2 pips of garlic
2 teaspoon of pepper
salt to taste

Instructions1.  Heat up the wok and fry the potatoes that have been cut. 
2.  When cooked, remove and toss.
3.  Next mash the potatoes.
4.  Pound the garlic.  Add salt and pepper.
5.  Fry in a bit of oil until fragrant.
6.  Add two egg yolks, the fried shallots and the coriander leaves.  Mix evenly.
7.  After that fashion into the shape of the bergedil.
8.  Heat the oil, let the oil be really hot before adding the bergedil so that it will not come apart during frying.
9.  Dip the fried bergedil in the two egg white and then fry.
10.  Remove and serve.

I love eating bergedil kentang and can wallop at least 4 at one go.  Ha! Ha! Ha!

No comments: