Sunday 6 July 2008

A COMPLETELY CHANGED PERSON???




When I saw Taiwanese singer/actor, Vic Chou Yu Min, on a Hong Kong entertainment show at the beginning of 2007, I had a scare. The young actor, who is also fondly known as Zai Zai, whom I first saw acting in the Taiwanese drama, Meteor Garden, had grown so thin and haggard. My mum who was watching the show with me was also wondering what had happened to Lei (the character he played in Meteor Garden). To give you an idea of how he looked like before he became so gaunt, take a look a the slide show on the right. Drop dead gorgeous, right? I am not too sure of the real reason but there were reports of losing all the weight and looking skeletal because of a failed relationship (he had been in a 3 year relationship with the lead actress of Meteor Garden), that he was suffering from some illness or that he was devastated by the death of one of his actress friends, who had died in an accident in Hong Kong. Anyway, Vic appears to have got his act together and by looking at the new photos of him published recently, he looks as handsome as ever. In my opinion, he looks even better with short hair and a more matured look then when he first started out when he was 19 years old.



I am doing this blog on Vic Zhou (周渝民; Zhōu Yúmín) as I wish to highlight the change in his name. Vic's stage name, 周渝民, literally means “a completely changed person”, while his birth 周育民 (Zhōu Yùmín), literally means “a completely nourished or reared person”. The change is only in the middle character (from 育 to 渝) from his birth name. Similarly, the second character of my name was changed to one with a similar tone from 謝麗娜 to 謝列娜. The 麗 in my original named carried the meaning beautiful while the changed character 列 means example.
In Feng Shui, any change of name must have the Chinese character with the same tone as the old name. If one changes ones name totally to a character with a different tone then one commits an ethical offence of filial piety. A change of name to a different tone needs the approval and blessing of ones parents.
In Malaysia, the Chinese characters for our names are not included in our identity card. So what to do? Well, you can get the characters of the changed name engraved on the ring or in a name card to be distributed to others.
When invoking the process of naming, it is imperative to relate the process with the five elements of a person's destiny. A good name with favourable five elements will bring auspicious luck to someone. For your information, I changed the second character of my name on the advice of my Feng Shui teacher after she had analysed my Ba Zi chart and the characters of my name. There was danger of illness, accidents and being cheated if I used the Li meaning beautiful in my name.

Click the URL below to read an article titled "Swap names to improve their luck" about parents in China, registering to change their children's names at the beginning of a school semester in the hope of in improvement in their children's overall wellbeing.

URL http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2006-02/20/content_521873.htm


References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Chou
The Feng Shui and Astrology Tabloid, July 2008 Volume 3.

No comments: