Thursday 29 May 2008

TULIP FARM IN BUKIT LARUT






I had contemplated on taking my family members to visit Maxwell Hill to look at the tulips grown there. I did a check on the Internet and realised that the tulip farm is located in Maxwell Hill or Bukit Larut but I think my plans would be put on hold as the flowers are not really in season now. Furthermore, it would be rather strenous for my mum, Aunt Linda and Aunt May who is recuperating. From the Internet, I found that after we reach a certain point, we need to take a 25 minute ride in a Four wheel drive to reach the farm. For your information, my mum is 75 years old, my Aunt Linda is 72 and Aunt May is 65. For those who are interested, I am posting information I found about the farm below from the blog 'My So Called Life' and also check out the lovely photos above which were taken by the blogger of this weblog who visited this place:
The tulip farm is located at Cendana Bungalow on Bukit Larut, and accessible through a government run 4wheel drive transport service. There is no booking ahead, and visitors will have to go early at 8am in the morning to buy tickets for the day. Visitors have to specify what time they want to go up and what time they want to come down and it cost RM4.00 per person for the round trip. If you are adventurous, you can opt to hike up, which takes an average 2hrs 45 minutes (1 way), vs the 25 minutes Jeep journey.The Tulip farm, is not like those abroad. It has a special air conditioned room for germination, and once the plant matures, it will be brought to the greenhouse to bloom. The tulips also do not follow the usual spring cycle, instead, it blooms 2-3 months after planting, and so in Malaysia, one can get tulips twice a year, one in December-February Period and the second in July. I visited the farm last Monday, and it is almost at the end of the blooming season. The keepers mentioned that the current batch of flowers are the last, and they will ship them out soon, so be quick to go if you want to catch this round. Else, just wait till July or end of the year in December to visit.
Entrance to the tulip farm is RM1 for non-Tulip season and RM2 for Tulip Season. You can purchase the tulips, RM5 each and RM15 for a pot of 3 flowers.

No comments: