Sunday 4 May 2014

THE CAUSE OF MY SWOLLEN FACE


When I woke up this morning my eyes and face were back to normal.  The eyes were puffy the moment I woke up yesterday morning and my face was slightly swollen.  Usually when I get migraines only my eyes become puffy (this is normal with severe headaches or migraines) but not the face.  A few of my friends suggested that there must have been something I was allergic to.  Could it be the nangka or jackfruit?
When I looked up Jackfruit in the Internet, I found that some cultivars of jackfruit contain esters and alchohol.  Here is the paragraph:
Aroma
Jackfruit are known for having a distinct aroma. In a study using five jackfruit cultivars, the main jackfruit volatile compounds that were detected are: ethyl isovalerate, 3-methylbutyl acetate, 1-butanol, propyl isovalerate, isobutyl isovalerate, 2-methylbutanol, and butyl isovalerate. These compounds were consistently present in all the five cultivars studied, suggesting that these esters and alcohols contributed to the sweet and fruity aroma of jackfruit.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit
Now the presence of the esters and alcohol would explain why my face became swollen.  I have a bad reaction to alcohol.  I have suffered from rashes, swellings and have even fainted as a result of either coming into contact or consuming anything with alcohol.

No comments: