Monday 2 September 2013

PRIMAL FEAR OF MORTALITY


When I arrived at my aunt's house last Saturday afternoon, she came rushing out to tell me that something was wrong with her brother, my Uncle Jimmy.  I had thought that he was having heart problems but then I saw him walking steadily out of the house.  Hmm ... just what exactly was wrong?
My dear aunt then started telling me that Uncle Jimmy was behaving strangely. It seemed that both of them had been having dreams of their dearly departed relatives.  In short they were overcome by the primal of their own mortality.  What freaked Auntie Linda out the most was when she was watching the live telecast of the National Day parade Uncle Jimmy went and sat next to her, held her hand, kissed it and said "Sister I am sorry".  I guessed she was thinking that he was have a premonition of his demise.
Auntie Linda was insistent that I drove them to my sifu's place and get his confirmation about what was wrong with my dear uncle.  Sent them there I did but not before we had lunch together.  Know what the sifu said when he saw them?  He said that since this was the Ghost Month their spirit essence was low and since they were elderly, their long gone relatives were able to make contact with them in their dreams.  Nothing much to fear about.  Anyway, I remember the sifu telling me that we should learn to accept our mortality as it is inevitable.  If we keep fearing and worrying about it, our quality of life would be affected.
Thankfully the sifu's words were able to calm them down.  The above picture was taken a day later, on Sunday, when I sent Aunt Linda home.  Notice that both of them are looking a lot happier.

No comments: