Tuesday 11 June 2013

SAMBAL PETAI WITH PRAWNS



Some people have an aversion for durians and petai as they find the smell disgusting.  I on the other hand find the smell irresistible.  My maternal grandparents are peranakan Chinese and my late mum learnt how to cook nyonya dishes from her side of the family.  One dish that I absolutely adore is the sambal udang petai that my mum used to cook for me.  Try as I might, I cannot somehow get the same taste.
Whenever I see petai being sold at the market, I'd buy them and cook this dish. You can say it is my favourite.

Here is the recipe.


Ingredients :
200 grams Petai skinned and cleaned, split the bean into two with a paring knife (some people cook the petai with the skin).

Seasoning :
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Ingredients for Sambal Paste :
5 fresh chillies (remove seeds)
5 dried red chillies (remove seeds)
2 cm turmeric (kunyit)
5 shallots
5 pips garlic
1/2 tsp tamarind paste (asam jawa)
1 cm Asian shrimp paste
1 stalk serai (lemongrass)
100ml water


Method :
  1. Mix tamarind paste with water and squeeze out tamarind juice, put aside.
  2. Peel shallots and garlic. Pound shallots, garlic and dried shrimp using a pestle and mortar (or use a blender). Then add in red chillies and dried chillies, pound again until fine. 
  3. Then add in turmeric, belacan and serai, pound until the mixture becomes a smooth paste. 
  4. Heat up 4 - 5  tbsp oil and saute the pounded paste until the paste gives out a fragrant smell. Add in petai and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add in water and tamarind juice, then bring to a simmer. Add in seasoning and serve hot with steamed white rice.

No comments: