Saturday 23 February 2013

BHRINGRAJ



One of the janitors at the college, Shanty, pointed out to me.this herb that was growing wild in the herb garden.  She said the Indians refer to it as Kastrani but I couldn't find a herb by that name when I did a search on the Internet.  However, I did not give up and went on to look for Indian herbs use in Ayurvedic medicine and bingo I found a picture of the herb.
The herb is known as Bhringraj in Hindi.  Its scientific name is Eclipta alba.  In English it is known as False Daisy and I can see why it is named such.
According to Shanty, the Indians use it as a remedy for eye diseases but the information I sourced had no mention of this.  Instead, in ayurvedic medicine, the leaf extract is considered a powerful liver tonic, rejuvenative, and especially good for the hair. A black dye obtained from Eclipta prostrata is used for dyeing hair and tattooing. Eclipta prostrata also has traditional external uses, such as for athlete's foot, eczema and dermatitis, and on the scalp to address hair loss. It is used as anti-venom against snakebite in China and Brazil.It is reported to improve hair growth and colour.
LINK

No comments: