Thursday 28 February 2013

ARTICLE ON ANCIENT SECRETS BY T. SELVA

It has been a while since I last posted any articles by Star columnist, T. Selva as his articles appear at the end of the month.  Here is the latest.

Seeking celestial energy
ANCIENT SECRETS
By T. SELVA
star2@thestar.com.my

Renewing experience: The underground cave meditation space at Maharshi Sadafaldeo Ashram at Jhushi in Allahabad.
Renewing experience: The underground cave meditation space at Maharshi Sadafaldeo Ashram at Jhushi in Allahabad.

Pilgrimages to places of significance in our respective faiths can help us strike a balance between our spiritual and material lives.

IT is written in sacred books that the purpose of our life is not to eat, sleep, earn money and gossip, but to seek the path towards truth and divinity.

Whether because of historical coincidence or divine providence, all faiths have certain places that have become centres of spiritual energy. Making a journey to such holy sites can alter our body, mind and spirit.

Understanding the value of going on a pilgrimage at least once in a lifetime, I made a trip to one of the holiest places in the world, the Ganges River in Allahabad, India, last month.

My journey was to take a dip in the confluence of the Ganges River at the ongoing Maha Kumbh Mela, the largest human gathering on Earth, but it opened my mind and heart to an unusual physical enactment of my inner journey to harness celestial energy.

Some pilgrims make a journey as a form of ascetic practice, deliberately taking the most arduous route or walking even when other modes of transportation are available, but I made a comfortable trip by air and road.

What I learnt is that to make a spiritual journey you do not need to be part of an organised religion.


A holy man who has been standing on one leg for 23 years to attain spiritual illumination.

A holy man who has been standing on one leg for 23 years to attain spiritual illumination.

All you need to do is think of a special place that has a sacred meaning to you and make the trip with determination and curiosity.

Although my trip was a great joy, the delays, obstacles, challenges, long hours without meals, putting up with extreme cold and humid weather and constantly expecting the unexpected gave me opportunities for reflection about life all along the journey – and not just upon arriving at my destination.

“Don’t expect miracles,” said my Vasthu Sastra Master Yuvaraj Sowma, who followed me, “but you may experience something unusual in the presence of great enlightened souls.”

My first encounter with spiritual power was with a naked holy man who has been standing on one leg for 23 years to attain spiritual illumination. He was in a makeshift hut built on the banks of the Ganges River and he only appears in public during the Kumbh Mela, emerging from his abode in the Himalayan mountains.

I felt a sudden surge of force entering my body the moment he placed his hand on my head as a form of blessing and looked deep into my eyes with a smile. He did not speak a word and when I thanked him for his grace, he removed a Rudraksha Mala (divine bead chain) from around his neck and placed it around my own.

His act of giving was interpreted as passing on some of his power of spiritual consciousness to me.

Following this, I visited a dozen more holy men who performed various acts to display their powers and pass them on to seekers.

I stayed on the grounds of the beautifully-decorated, fairyland-like Maharshi Sadafaldeo Ashram at Jhushi, Allahabad. Here, I was invited by spiritual leader Sant Pravar Shri Vigyandeo Ji Maharaj for a cave meditation in a special place where holy men and seers in India sit in silence for days, weeks and even years to connect to the spiritual vibrations there.

As I walked underground into the magnificent cave at 7am, all external sounds were cut off; the dark underground enclosure was lit with purple lights.

The temperature was even and I was given a short briefing on Vihangam Yoga (science of consciousness) meditation techniques, established in 1924, to stimulate and heighten my spiritual practice.

I sat in solitude in the lotus posture with my eyes closed before the statue of Sadguru Sadafaldeo Ji Maharaj. I could not remember how long I was there, but I realised after some time that I was tearing.

I left the space feeling lighter, internally rejuvenated and renewed.

My uplifting pilgrimage concluded with me receiving sun energy by gazing at the therapeutic and calming sunset at the Ganges River.

I returned reborn with a newfound peace and an altered state of consciousness.

Spirituality taught me to be completely natural and for most of us, the most natural way to live is in the world, working to feed ourselves, caring for our families and contributing to our communities.

Going on a retreat is a powerful way to make sure we keep our spiritual lives vibrant and balanced with the material world.

LINK

No comments: