Sunday 11 November 2012

A SENSE OF DEJA VU: FULL HOUSE TAKE 2


The year was 2004. I could remember my late Aunt May gushing about the lead actor of this K-drama that she had watched.   She kept telling me to watch the show as I would love it.  She also showed me the picture of the lead actor.   After taking a good look at the picture, I asked my aunt what was it that she saw attractive about that particular Korean actor.  He had small beady eyes and looked rather common to me.  My aunt told me to watch the drama and I will find out.  So to humour Aunt May I bought the CD and watched it.  She was right!  The drama in question was "Full House" and the young actor was none other than Rain.  I had to eat my words in front of my aunt.
Now 8 years later, I am beginning to get an uneasy sense of deja vu that a similar situation is going to happen. It actually began last year when I saw the promotional poster for Full House 2.  I thought that the two main leads looked rather silly in their costumes and the other male lead looked too young.  When more pictures came out, many Full House fans were already complaining about the hair styles and funny costumes.  Some said that they were going to give it a miss .  Nevertheless, I let curiosity get the better of me and decided to watch a couple of episodes to see how silly the sequel could get.  
After watching the first half hour of the drama, I saw that Full House Take 2 had not much semblance Rain's Full House.  As a matter of fact, many viewers drew comparisons of the characters in the drama with "He's Beautiful" starring Jang Geun Suk and Lee Hong Ki.  To me, the character Lee Tae Ik was a parody of Hwang Tae Kyung and Park Ki Woong's character was similar to that of Jeremy as portrayed by Lee Hong Ki.  Furthermore, these two were part of an idol group.  Then the unexpected happened, at the end of the first episode, the two male leads shared a kiss.  Ah Ha!  This was interesting.  Then I wanted to see what happened next and kept watching.  I am now until Episode 6 and waiting with bated breath for next week to watch part one of Episode 7.  I can see that from thenceforth, the story is going towards Full House territory whereby the leads have to go into a false engagement and predictably fall head over heels in love with each other.  The other similar elements that I forsee happening is the relationship between the second male lead and the female lead and the entrance of the second female lead to complicate matters.  
By the way, I forgot to give a synopsis of the drama.  Here it is:

SYNOPSIS OF FULL HOUSE TAKE 2
Lee Tae Ik lost his parents and their family home at a young age. He grows up to become a Hallyu star, that is, a popular South Korean idol.  He is one half of the K-pop duo Take One.  Tae Ik thinks of earning enough money to buy back his childhood home. Enter Man Ok, a Hapkido instructress,  who becomes the newly hired stylist for Tae Ik and his singing partner Kang Hwi.  We have the ensuing love triangle and the re-emergence of an ex-girlfriend which complicates matters. What is going to happen to them?

SIMILARITIES OF FULL HOUSE AND FULL HOUSE 2
Initially, I had thought that the sequel was just in name only but as the drama progresses, I can begin to see that it does indeed have aspects of its predecessor. For instance, the issue with the house owner losing the house to someone else. In Full house, Rain bought the house that Song Hye Ko's her parents left her. Nevertheless, the main issue is still about possession of the house.
Also, Rain's and No Min Woo's characters are both Hallyu stars.  One is a famous actor while the other is a pop idol.  Then of course, they are forced into a false relationship with the female leads and would eventually fall for them.

Regardless of horrid hairstyles, emaciated looks and pasty complexion, the drama makes an interesting watch.  My interest is piqued and I keep wanting to watch more.  Now that is the mark of a successful drama, worthy of the original Full House.
Below are some pictures from the episodes that I have watched.
In episode 6, which was the latest.  We have the fire alarm going off.  This caused the girl to have a panic attack and fainted.  We have the hero carrying her to safety.
The two male leads with the second female lead.  The girl used to be ex of Lee Tae Ik.  It looks like the second lead has the hots for her as well.
The two main leads caught in a compromising situation.

Here is how hot No Min Woo and Hwang Jung Eum look like without the silly hair and funny costumes.  They ROCK ...

No comments: